Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Sweet Snacks: Rolled-Up French Toast

On the menu for April's Sweet Snacks program: Rolled-up French Toast.

Here's how we did it. (Click here to learn more about how I cook with the kids.)

Start with a piece of white bread and a rolling pin. 


Roll it till it's flat flat flat. 


Spread it with your choice of topping. I offered cream cheese, flavored cream cheese, jelly, and cinnamon sugar. You can do peanut butter, too, but I worry about allergies so I stay away from it unless it is absolutely necessary to have it (we used it when we made Muddy Buddies, for example, but I made extra sure everyone knew that it was coming). 

Cinnamon sugar. Possibly more than strictly necessary...?

Next, make the egg dip. Mix 2 eggs and 3 tablespoons of milk in a bowl. Whisk until it's combined. 

Then roll your bread into a tight roll, dip it in the egg mixture, and place it (seam-side down) in your trusty skillet (my skillet is the awesomest. Go my skillet.)


Biggest challenge: remembering which roll belonged to which child.

Carefully turn the roll as it browns to make sure all the sides get cooked. 

When it's done, put it on a plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar. 



Super simple, delicious, and the ingredients were relatively inexpensive, too. Over the next few days, I received several reports of the kids making these at home for breakfast. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...