Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Sweet Snacks: Popcorn

As I was running through ideas for my Sweet Snacks program (check this post for a run-down of how I cook with my kids), I came across the idea of flavored popcorn in one of the cookbooks. A little bit of googling revealed a world of flavored popcorn that I could never have imagined (seriously, google it. It's astounding).

I narrowed it down to four options based on what I thought the kids would like, what might be a little different for them, and what took the simplest ingredients. Here's what I picked: cinnamon sugar, parmesan cheese, ranch, and rocky road.

Here are the ingredients you'll need for the toppings:

Not pictured: sugar. We mixed our own cinnamon sugar - you can always buy premixed if you prefer. 
The popcorn itself is just needs some vegetable oil and popcorn kernels.

I pulled out my trusty skillet (is there anything it can't do?) and we went to work.

First, put 1/4 cup of oil in the skillet.


Throw a few kernels in the oil and cover it. 


Wait. Use this time to talk about kernels vs. popped corn or microwave popcorn vs. the kind we are making or which kernel you think will pop first. 


When one pops, cover the bottom of the pan with kernels. Cover the skillet. 



It will start to pop pop pop and be oh, so very fun. Once the popping slows down, turn the heat off and wait a minute or so. Take the lid off (carefully! Some kernels may still be popping!). 



We divided our popped corn into four large bowls with lids and added the toppings. 

Ranch Flavor: 
Butter
Ranch dressing mix
Chives


Cinnamon Sugar Flavor:
Butter
Cinnamon sugar


Rocky Road Flavor: 
Butter
Chocolate Chips
Marshmallows


Parmesan Cheese Flavor: 
Butter
Parmesan Cheese


Put the lids on the bowls and SHAKE!


Delicious.


For those keeping score at home, the Ranch dressing was far and away the parent favorite while the kids were totally enamored with Rocky Road. 

To each his own... popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...